- Writers, identity and place, spatial theory and discourse generally
- Colonial cartography
- The works of nineteenth century writer Rider Haggard and artist-explorer Thomas Baines
- Literary tourism particularly as evidenced in the KZN Literary Tourism project
- The works of Lewis Nkosi
- Work by South African Indian writers and the circulation of texts in the Indian Ocean region
- South African literature (in 2012 Schreiner, Plaatje, Paton, Nkosi and Drum writers, Mpe, Mda, Douglas Livingstone)
- African literature (in 2012 Achebe)
- Literary tourism in KZN
- Nineteenth century writing (in 2012 Bronte, Dickens)
- 2001 Imagining Africa: Landscape in H. Rider Haggard’s African Romances.Westport, USA: Greenwood Press.
- 2001 Thomas Baines and the Great Map (ed. Lindy Stiebel) CD-ROM. Durban: Campbell Collections, University of Natal.
- 2005, 2006 Still Beating the Drum: critical perspectives on Lewis Nkosi (eds.) Lindy Stiebel and Liz Gunner. Amsterdam and New York: Rodopi; Johannesburg: Wits University Press.
- 2009 Lives of Victorian Literary Figures vol. 7 Henry Rider Haggard. London: Pickering and Chatto (commissioned volume).
- 2012 Thomas Baines: Exploring Tropical Australia 1855 to 1857. (eds.) Jane Carruthers and Lindy Stiebel. Canberra: National Museum of Australia Press.
Selected chapters in books:
- 1987 (with Beall J, Friedman M, Hassim S, Posel R and A Todes) “African Women in the Durban Struggle 1985-1986: towards a transformation of roles”. In: South African Review 4 (eds) Moss G and I. Obery. Johannesburg: Ravan Press: 92-103.
- 2002 “Black ‘Tecs: popular thrillers by South African black writers in the Nineties” in Readings in African Popular Fiction (ed) Stephanie Newell. London: James Currey:187-192.
- 2005, 2006. “The Return of the Native: Lewis Nkosi’s Mating Birds (1986) revisited in post-apartheid Durban”. In: Still Beating the Drum: critical perspectives on Lewis Nkosi. Amsterdam and New York: Rodopi (2005); Johannesburg: Wits University Press (2006):166-182.
- 2007 “Mapping Fictional Conquests: the role of fictive maps in adventure novels and romances of the colonial era” (with Norman Etherington). In: Mapping Colonial Conquest: Australia and Southern Africa (ed) Norman Etherington. Perth: University of Western Australia Press: 41-65.
- 2007 “Undoing Conquest: the South African Millennium Project (PMP)”. In: Mapping Colonial Conquest: Australia and Southern Africa (ed) Norman Etherington. Perth: University of Western Australia Press: 178-188.
- 2009 “On the trail of Rider Haggard in South Africa”. In (ed.) Nicola Watson, Literary Tourism and Nineteenth Century Culture. London: Palgrave: 210-219.
- 2009 “ ‘The beastly bloodiness of it’: the reception of She in its day”. In She: explorations of a romance (ed.) Tania Zulli. Rome: Aracne: 145-166.
- 2010 “Lewis Nkosi”. The Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century Fiction. General editor Brian W Shaffer. Vol 3: World Fiction. Ed. John Clement Ball. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell: 1266-1267.
- 2012 “Cooeeing to the natives: Thomas Baines on the North Australian Expedition (1855-57)”. In (eds.) Jane Carruthers and Lindy Stiebel Thomas Baines in Australia. Canberra: National Museum of Australia Press: 50-69.
Selected Journal articles:
- 1993 “Treating Trash Seriously: Teaching Popular Fiction in South Africa”. Perspectives in Education 14(1):47-55.
- 1996 (with M. Sienaert) “Writing on the Earth European Travelers to South Africa”. Literator 17(1):91-101.
- 1998 “A Map to Treasure: the literary significance of Thomas Baines” ‘Map to the Goldfields of South East Africa’”. The South African Historical Journal 39:64-70.
- 2000 “‘As man is to woman, so is Europe to Africa’: gendering landscape in Nada the Lily”. Current Writing 12(1):63-74.
- 2001 “Creating a Landscape of Africa: Baines, Haggard and Great Zimbabwe”. English in Africa 28(2):22-132.
- 2002 “A Treasure Story: Thomas Baines’s ‘Map to the Gold Fields of South Eastern Africa’ 1877”. English Studies in Africa 45(1):65-82.
- 2003 (with Colleen Goldsworthy) “A Suitable Match: marrying technology to the past in the Thomas Baines and the ‘Great Map’ CD-ROM project” Cartography 32(2):53-61.
- 2004 “Hitting the hotspots: literary tourism as a research field, and in particular the case of KwaZulu-Natal”. Critical Arts 18(2):31-44.
- 2004 “Putting Africa [back] on the map: the South African Parliamentary Millennium Project”. Transformation 56: 53-67.
- 2007 “Going on (literary) pilgrimage: constructing literary trails with particular reference to KwaZulu-Natal”. Scrutiny2 12(1): 93-106.
- 2010 “Editorial Essay: research agendas for the Indian Ocean Region”. Journal of the Indian Ocean Region 6 (1) (with Christian Bouchard, Sanjay Chaturvedi, Timothy Doyle, Vivian Louis Forbes, Tetsuo Kotani, PV Rao, Dennis Rumley and Clive Schofield): 1-25.
- 2010 “Last Stop Little Gujarat – tracking South African Indian writers on the Grey Street trail in Durban”. Current Writing 22 (1): 1-20.
- 2011 “Crossing the kala pani: cause for ‘celebration’ or ‘commemoration’ 150 years on? Portrayals of Indenture in recent South African Indian writing”. Journal of Literary Studies 27(2): 77-90.
Download Curriculum Vitae